St Augustine Ruins in Goa was abandoned in 1835 as a result of the expulsion of the religious order from Goa. The main vault of the Church collapsed and the convent has been in ruins ever since. The valuable articles belonging to the monastery and church were lost or sold or dispersed over many churches in Goa. The bell from the tower was taken to the Church of Our lady of Immaculate Conception in Panjim. Because of its partial demolition, weather and natural decay, most of the complex has fallen apart. The five storey bell tower is being conserved to keep it from collapsing as well.