Kaitokukan Tokyo University Garden - Marquis Toshinari Maeda, the 16th head of the Maeda Clan of the Kaga Domain, built a stately Western residence in the neo-baroque style in 1907 for receiving imperial visits. In 1926, the University of Tokyo reached an agreement with Marquis Maeda through which this residence and its property would be given to the University in exchange for University property in Komaba. The University named the residence Kaitokukan East Pavilionand used it as a facility for welcoming distinguished guests. In 1945, as a result of an air raid, the residence was completely destroyed. Kaitokukan was rebuilt in 1951 as a Japanese-style residence. The new Kaitokukan uses stones from the original Western-style residence in its foundation, while wood for the building was supplied by the University’s forests. The garden was designed by Hikoemon Ito, the Maeda Clan’s gardener. As well as the common characteristics of Japanese gardens from the late Meiji to Taisho periods, as well as the remains of the gardens built by the former lord of the Edo period in the modern city center of Tokyo. It is precious and has high artistic value in the history of modern Japanese gardens. Kaitokukan is only open to the public one day of the year, on Todai's homecoming day, mid October each year.
- ©John Lander
- Image Size
- 4160x6240 / 21.5MB
Kaitokukan Tokyo University Garden, Hikoemon Ito, Kaitokukan, Kaitokukan garden, serene, serenity, calm, calming, quiet, quietude, japanese garden, japanese landscape architecture, stone garden, rock garden, rockery, asian garden, rocks, rock, stone, stones, tobi ishi, tobi-ishi, stepping stones, step stones
- Contained in galleries