Sanshiro Pond was once known as Ikutokuen Shinji-ike, and forms a part of Tokyo University’s on campus Japanese garden. The pond and garden were constructed in 1638 along with the surrounding Ikutokuen Garden by Toshitsune Maeda, Lord of the Kaga Domain. It was ranked as the best garden created by feudal lords in Tokyo during Edo Period but the pond element is all that is left of Ikutokuen Garden. The pond has come to be known as Sanshiro Pond from the novel Sanshiro by Soseki Natsume. In the story, the pond is described as the place where the protagonist meets the woman he admires.