Zuiganji was originally opened in 828 AD and was considered to be one of the greatest Zen temples in all of Oshu Province. During that time, it was often referred to as Enpuku-ji. At the turn of the Shogen era in 1259. Zuiganji is a reflection of the natural beauty of Matsushima, and upon entering the temple grounds, the approach to the main hall proceeds along a path with caves carved into the rock that were used in the past for meditation, memorial services and as a buriel place for the ashes of the deceased. Today these caves contain statues of jizo, rakan and other Buddhist dieties.