Komagata Bridge (also written Komagatabashi Bridge) was built in 1927 and takes its name from the Matsugata temple dedicated to Bato-Kanon. The blue bridge was designed in the art deco style popular at the time, and one of the finest bridges along the Sumida River in Asakusa, Tokyo. The Sumida River Sumidagawa branches from the Arakawa River and eventually flows into Tokyo Bay. What is now considered the Sumida River was previously the path of the Arakawa River. However at the end of the Meiji period the rivers were diverted to prevent flooding.